It’s not every day that you get nominated for an award. It’s even cooler when you’re nominated for the same award by two different people in the same week. Melissa & Lilian (hey ya’ll!) both recently put me up for the Liebster award.
The rules go a little something like this:
- Each person must post 11 things about themselves.
- Answer the questions that the tagger set for you plus create 11 questions for the people you’ve tagged to answer.
- Choose 11 people and link them in your post.
- Go to their page and tell them.
- No tag backs!
Seems easy enough.
Here are my answers to Melissa’s questions:
1. Why did you start blogging, and more importantly why have you chosen to continue it over the years?
I started my first blog when I was in high school. It was crap. I would talk about my day to day experiences and use it in lieu of writing in a journal. Over the years my writing evolved into a bucket list blog and Veni Vidi Vici was born. I continue to blog because it holds me accountable for completing my bucket list goals.
2. What was the ONE most important moment of 2012 for you, and why?
I suppose the single most important moment for me in 2012 is the moment I fell in love. I know: gag, right? But seriously. I’ll share more about it with you on Sunday but this strange tingling in my heart has changed the path in which I plan to embark on.
3. If you were on a deserted island and could have any three things, what would they be?
A life raft… because eventually I’ll have the urge to get up and go to another island. Johnny Depp because clearly the man knows what he’s doing in a scenario like this and he’ll come equipped with rum. (In the event that Mr. Depp is unavailable, I’ll substitute Robin Williams instead). Thirdly, I would bring my favorite travel accessory: a sarong. I can think of countless uses for it on a deserted island.
4. What is your current favorite song that I should be listening to?
“Mama’s Broken Heart” by Miranda Lambert
5. What is one favorite blog post you have written? (post a link!)
Check out my Best Dozen Posts of 2012
6. Name one of your guilty pleasures.
Here are two of them. Coffee and these guys.
7. If you could give a piece of advice to yourself when you were 15, what would it be?
The trip that you’re about to embark on is going to change your life. Learn from you mistakes. Savor every minute of it.
8. What book are you looking forward to reading in the near future?
I’m looking forward to starting the second book in the Percy Jackson series.
9. Tell your readers something they may not know about you!
Despite the fact that I’m participating in the Drink Around the World Challenge and I plan on visiting all of the breweries in the state of Florida (more on this topic coming Saturday!)… I’m actually allergic to alcohol. It causes me to sneeze and liquors tend to give me a fever, especially tequila.
10. You’re told that you have to drop one of your social media accounts- which one, and why?
I don’t think I could ever give up Facebook, I use it to connect with many of my followers. I’d have to pick Twitter, but only because of the character limit.
11. What is one thing that you truly could not live without?
Here are my answers to Lilian’s questions:
1. What’s your favourite place in the whole world?
It’s hard for me to narrow it down to just once destination but the island of St. John has always been one of my favorites.
2. What has been your worst travel mishap or misadventure?
Where do I begin? Check out my post, “How I Dealt With the 5 Worst Things That Have Happened to Me While Travelling” post. I’ve had some pretty crazy mishaps.
3. What is the best dish you have had while while travelling?
Ooh, good question! I love checking out mom and pop places while I’m traveling. One of my favorite has been Filippi’s Pizza Grotto in San Diego.
4. Show us your favourite travel photograph!
5. What do you look for most in a destination? Is it nice weather, night-life, culture, luxury, adventure or something else?
Beaches and adventure! Give me the sun, sand, and salt!
6. What would you look for in a travel companion? Or do you prefer to travel solo?
I actually enjoy travelling alone. I hate travelling in big groups. If I’m going to travel with a friend or two… we all must be understanding that I’m in charge of the itinerary
7. What’s you favourite colour?
8. What item could you not travel without?
9. What type of accommodation do you prefer while travelling?
All I need is a comfortable bed to rest my head at night. I typically don’t spend much time in my room when I’m travelling.
10. Do you prefer to travel fast or slow?
I prefer slow travel, but my article Cruising: Speed Dating for Travelers explains why I cruise.
11. What’s your favourite thing about travelling?
Stepping out of my comfort zone. Learning about new cultures. Experiencing new things.
Here are 11 things about me:
- I am a dreamer and a planner. This is a dangerous combination. I have so many huge goals for myself but I’ve come to terms with the fact that I probably won’t be able to achieve them all.
- I just got a brand new puppy! Her name is Lady Belle. She’s absolutely perfect. But with her comes the realization that I’ve started settling down.
- I have a horrible case of anxiety and suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). These conditions make traveling a little more difficult for me. You should see how nervous I get going into Customs. I’ll go more in depth about this next week.
- The picture above? Yea. That’s my girlfriend.
- Despite me being an outgoing person, I’m actually quite shy. My anxiety makes me very nervous about meeting new people and striking up conversations.
- Speaking of anxiety, it also makes trying new activities difficult for me. I try to overcompensate my nervousness by making jokes.
- I love spending time in museums and art galleries. I’m a huge nerd.
- I don’t watch much TV… in fact, we don’t even have cable anymore. However, I love Dexter and Big Bang Theory (we own the box sets).
- I have ADD which sometimes makes blogging and finishing my degree difficult. One of my professors has tried to help me deal with it by bringing me stress balls and a puppy to class. Yes… he brings his puppy in for me to play with. I’m not sure how this is supposed to help me pay attention though…
- I’m a lover, not a fighter. When I get pissed off, I cry.
- I’m ready to pack my bags and head out on my next trip. I’ve got the itch. I’ve been pricing out flights and trying to narrow down my next destination!
I’ll email the people I nominate their questions